Our Social Ministry Committee oversees a wide range of ministries that reach out with the love of Christ to those with social, economic or spiritual needs in our community, synod, and around the world. Our ministries include:
- The Shepherd Shop is open every Tuesday, 10 am to 1 pm. We begin with devotions at 10 am. Free, used clothing, shoes and other household items are made available. A light lunch is also offered. Those wishing to donate good, clean, used clothing may do so by dropping it off inside the doorway in the alley.
- Purls of Prayer is a Prayer Shawl Ministry which meets every Thursday at 3:00pm. To become a part of this amazing group who uses helping hands to heal hearts and share joy one stitch at a time or if you or someone you know is in need of a prayer shawl, please contact Jane Lawson 724-217-2574 or Linda Taylor 724-433-4976.
- Mother Hubbard’s Cupboard is located in the front narthex where various food items and paper products are collected for our local food pantry.
- Greater Latrobe Food Pantry and Fresh Express – volunteers to assist with distribution are coordinated for months designated for Trinity.
- Simeanna Visitors are members who visit, read scripture, and pray with our homebound monthly. In home visits and telephone support are both available and can be arranged through the church office.
- Trinity Latrobe Counseling Center – affiliated with the Pittsburgh Pastoral Institute offers individual, marital, and family counseling. To make an appointment call: 1-877-661-9623.
- Red Cross Blood Drives – volunteers are coordinated to host blood drives as scheduled.
- Faith in Action – supporting this joint ministry with the congregations in Latrobe, serving our senior population age 60 and over.
- Thanksgiving Day Dinner – a free sit down dinner at Noon on Thanksgiving Day for those in our community. Volunteers help to plan, prepare, and serve a home-cooked family style meal.
- Christmas Baskets provide boxes of food for a Christmas meal along with a gift for those who need a little assistance during Christmas. Money is collected for the food and gifts. Volunteers gather to help sort and pack the boxes and help with distribution.
- Blanket Weekend happens during Lent when members can buy a $5 blanket that are shipped to places around the world where needed.
- ELCA Hunger Appeal offerings are received each week! This money is used to support ministries of the ELCA that provide food and resources where they are needed.
- ELCA End Malaria Campaign offerings are received the third week of each month.
Social Ministry at Trinity continues to extend Christian care and compassion in many ways of service to those in our congregation, our community and the world. We strive to meet the needs of God’s people through various ministries that our members support with their time, talents and finances. The committee is always looking for other ways we can be the voice, hands and feet for those who need special care or assistance – near or far.